General Builder (GB98) Candidates, this new program has four excellent practice tests with over 480 code questions that simulate your state exam. Questions, answers, and article references that you need to pass the new PSI state examination are contained in this module. Choose this program if you are serious about passing your state exams with PSI. Go into the test prepared with the best computer study program in New Mexico !!!
Here is a small sample of our exam prep questions:
- According to OSHA, what is an approved method for moving cylinders of compressed gas?
Answer: Tilting and rolling on bottom edge. Reference: OHSA 1926.350.A.3.
- On a construction project, what is the minimum required sidewalk width?
Answer: 4 feet. Reference: IBC 3306.2.
- A vapor barrier is deigned to provide protection against ___ what?
Answer: Condensation. Reference: General Knowledge.
- What is a big advantage to using Type III Portland cement?
Answer: High Early Strength. Reference: Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures, Page 28.
- Un-reinforced concrete cannot be used to build ___?
Answer: Columns. Reference: IBC 1901.2.
Our General Building Contractor (GB-98) software is an interactive computer program that allows each license candidate to prepare and study for his state examination while in the comfort of his own home. Our practice exams actually simulate the experience of taking the two-part computerized state examinations. The questions, answers, and article references have been professionally prepared by our research team to cover every subject area, code section, and calculations.
Our program helps you prepare for each of the two portions of your upcoming examination with PSI. The two exams, Residential Part 1, and Commercial Part 2 are thoroughly covered in the material we provide.
This download will contain a study and preparation program that will consist of several sample test modules. Each practice exam is designed to give the student a simulation of what to expect when taking the actual state tests. This program contains hundreds of questions from the exact reference code books and text books used to make the two-part state examination. The combination of specific computer based training with our software, familiarity with the code books, text books, and your years of field experience assure your success. Prep At Home today!
PSI Candidate Information Bulletin, Examination Content Outline:
The following reference materials are allowed in the examination center:
- International Building Code, 2009, International Code Council, (800) 786-4452. www.iccsafe.org
- OSHA 1926, Code of Federal Regulations – 29 CFR Part 1926 Revised as of 2008 or later. (888) 293-6498. -OR-Code of Federal Regulations – 29 CFR Part 1926 Selections as of 2008 by PSI. (800) 733-9267. www.osha.gov.
- International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 2009, International Code Council, (800) 786-4452. www.iccsafe.org
- Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction, Cameron K. Andres and Ronald C. Smith, 2004, 7th Edition, Pearson Education, Inc., ISBN 0-13-048292-7. www.phcatalog.pearson.com
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures, Steven H. Kosmatka and William C. Panarese, 2010, Portland Cement Association, (847) 966-6200, ISBN 0-893122173 www.cement.org
- Placing Reinforcing Bars, 2011, 9th Edition, Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, (800) 328-6306, www.crsi.org
- Gypsum Construction Handbook, 2009 Edition, Publisher-United States Gypsum Company (USG), 125 S. Franklin Street, Chicago, IL 60606, Phone (800) 874-4968, URLhttp://www.usg.com, ISBN: 0-9636862-2-4
- SDI Manual of Construction with Steel Deck, 2006, 2nd Edition, Steel Deck Institute, (847) 458-4647, www.sdi.org
- Training and Certification of Field Personnel for Unbonded Post-Tensioning – Level 1 Field Fundamentals, 2003, 3rd WWW.PSIEXAMS.COM 18 Edition, Post-Tensioning Institute, (602) 870-7540, www.post-tensioning.org, ISBN 1931085250
- Erectors’ Manual – Standards and Guidelines for the Erection of PreCast Concrete Products, 1999, 2nd Edition, Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI), (312) 786-0300, www.pci.org, ISBN 0-937949-56-8
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders, 2006, 2nd Edition, Steel Joist Institute, (843) 626-1995, www.steeljoist.org/publications
- Carpentry and Building Construction, John L. Feirer and Mark D. Feirer, 2010, Glencoe-McGraw-Hill, (800) 334-7344, , ISBN 0-07-822702-X www.glencoe.com
- Modern Masonry – Brick, Block, Stone, Clois E. Kicklighter, 2010 (Seventh Edition), The Goodheart-Willcox Company, (800) 323-0440, ISBN 1-56637-962-8. www.goodheartwillcox.com,
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, Dave Roberts, 1987, Craftsman Book Company, (800) 829-8123, ISBN 0-934041-22-9. www.craftsman-book.com/products,
- ACI 530-05 or 08 Building Code Requirements for Masonry Structures, 2005 or 2008, American Concrete Institute, (248) 848-3700, www.concrete.org
- ACI 318-05 or 08 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, 2005 or 2008, American Concrete Institute, (248) 848-3700, www.concrete.org
- New Mexico Administrative Code Title 14, 2004. www.nmcpr.state.nm.us/NMAC.
- New Mexico Commercial Building Code (NMAC 14.7.2), 2009. www.nmcpr.state.nm.us/NMAC.
- Candidates are responsible for bringing their own references to the examination center. Reference materials may be highlighted, underlined and/or indexed prior to the examination session. (Permanent tabs and highlighting is permitted. No notes !!!)
Application for State Licensing must be submitted to PSI:
PSI Services LLC
2301 Yale SE, Ste. C-4
Phone: (877) 663?9276
Web Site: public.psiexams.com
- License candidates must be pre-approved by Construction Industries prior to testing with PSI.
- Applications submitted to PSI are usually processed in 2-3 weeks, at which time PSI will mail each license candidate a letter or postcard to indicate approval to take the examination.
Examinations are administered by PSI:
PSI Services LLC
3210 E. Tropicana, Las Vegas, NV 89121
Phone: (800) 733-9267
Web Site: www.psiexams.com
- Be sure to carefully review your Candidate Information bulletin prior to your examination. This document contains important information regarding testing locations, fees, dates, examination content and reference materials used to make the examination.
License Requirements Summary:
- Residential Part 1, 80 question exam, 220 minute time limit, minimum test score 75%.
- Commercial Part 2, 100 question exam, 5 hour time limit, minimum test score 75%.
- State Application Fee = $36.00
- PSI Test Fee = $269.06 (two-part combination exam)
- Experience requirement: 4 years.